Saturday, April 9, 2016

ODYSSEAS ELITIS TAKES ON BACK TO THE FUTURE

In Amalfi, Italy, they have an amazing digestive delicacy after a meal- a slice of lemon sprinkled with ground coffee and sugar. Simplicity and truth! I read this in the book The land where lemons grow, by Helena Attlee. Another delicacy which I learnt from a dear Italian friend is to pour hot fresh coffee into a plate of ice cream. As usual, the Italians do it better! 😉


Paris in the 19th century was a city where people virtually lived in the cafes -they would go home only to sleep. How great! I like being outside too. I love my home only because I am away most of the time!
Still, I would never want to live in the past. I like this era, though I wouldn't mind living some decades into the future. There were never the good old times. All ages have problems.
As the sublime Greek poet Odysseas Elitis (Οδυσσέας Ελύτης) used to say, "despite its problems, our age is the best. I would never choose to live in the past".

For this and more insights to Elitis's brilliant mind go to his interview anthology Συν τοις Άλλοις (Sin tis allois, Among Other Things).
And have a great Saturday! Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment