Friday, February 17, 2017

NEEDLESS TO SAY

"Come over, there's plenty of food... [list of dishes follows] ... eat with us"! This is what I hear everywhere I go, from the petrol station to shops to student parties! It's the Thursday where the Carnival period begins: everybody is in a happy mood, eating and celebrating!

Though I always loved the carnival, I became really interested during my literary studies. I simply loved Shakespeare's festive comedies, such as As you Like It, where everybody is in disguise to great comic and dramatic effect. From Shakespeare criticism I got, of course, into the work of Mikhail Bakhtin on festivity, carnival and the carnivalesque. I was fascinated by the thought of carnival as disruption, misrule, but somehow also connected to a deeper truth!
(Needless to say I love the burlesque and artist Dita Von Teese).
In the pics you can see my good friend Mike Orphanides, himself in the amazing Harlequin make up and costume, creating the look of the former Carnival Queen in Limassol. He had just finished making up this year's Queen, all in Mediterranean blue!


Eventually, I felt too embarrassed to eat on the street with people I didn't know at all. I had a pitta halloumi sandwich at Costa Coffee (very good and also traditional). But I regret not joining some street party now! Maybe next year ðŸ˜€
Have a good evening, always with beauty and a book! ðŸ’‹ðŸŒ¹ðŸ’„👠
#carnival #carnivalesque #mikhailbakhtin #shakespeare #asyoulikeit#festivity #cyprus #limassol #τσικνοπεμπτη #food #costacoffee

No comments:

Post a Comment