Thursday, June 30, 2016

E.T. THE ALIEN AND THE AMAZING NUTELLA PANCAKE

Believe it or not, the book that introduced me to food cultures other than the Cypriot was the novel version of E.T. The Extra-terrestrial! The Cyprus I grew up in was a closed economy (the first "modern" supermarket to open closed down, it didn't do business). Plus, because we have a terrific food culture of our own, we weren't very receptive to others.
E.T., the novel by William Kotzwinkle, taught me about pancakes with Nutella chocolate, M & Ms and peanut butter! I read and read the passages, wondering what those delicacies could be. It's true that books open the world to you!

Here I am today in the world's most amazing Food Hall-- Marks and Spencer's. You can't beat the M &S peanut butter, marmalades, chocolate tea cakes, scones and generally everything!!! The Food Hall we have in Larnaca is just perfect, while those in the UK are pure heaven!
Now you can find many food traditions here in Cyprus, though we also faithfully preserve our own. Personally, I love Italian food more than anything.
And I still read E.T. with the same sense of wonder I read it as a child!
#‎nutella‬ #cyprus #cyprusfood

No comments:

Post a Comment