Saturday, June 6, 2015

A MOST ESSENTIAL ACCESSORY

MARY QUANT who, before inventing the mini, worked in a millinery, says "every hat I made was a little sculpture". And you know what? She is right!!!!!! Hats are sculptures. My passion for hats is well known, and today I found A PERFECT HAT. Here it is!

In Jane Austen, a mania for bonnets is associated in Pride and Prejudice with frivolous Lydia Bennett (though she is absolutely crazy, I personally like Lydia). 

Still, women took frivolous bonnets very seriously throughout the 19th century. A bonnet was a most essential accessory, and no woman could get outside the home without wearing one over the hair. Fashion magazines always devoted space for bonnets and hats, describing the new arrivals in lavish detail. Velvet hats with plumes and pins, bonnets with Brussels lace, with black lace, blonde lace, ribbons, feathers, fresh roses, bonnets with tulle pleatings -- there was no end to the milliners' imagination!

I bought this beautiful hat today from my local Marks and Spencer's. It was love at first sight, and I'm so happy! Yes, happiness does not always reside in grand things, and there can be happiness midst problems. Indeed happiness can sometimes take the form of a simple, and pretty hat! xxx

P.S. Special thanks to my talented hair stylist, who cannot only do my frizzy hair so nicely, she also took these amazing pics!



No comments:

Post a Comment