Tuesday, June 16, 2015

BLONDE

SUMMER is here, which means that I change the shower curtain from the plain white to the Marilyn Monroe! The Marilyn Monroe curtain was a gift from a special friend; plus, all my shower curtains at home are fraught with meaning. The white is for the dark winter months, because the color reminds me of the light I miss so much. The sky blue is for spring, while in the summer, where we have hours and hours of golden light, I put the curtain with Marilyn, in shades of grey!

Marilyn Monroe is, for me, a figure of mystery and fascination: like the Princess Diana, a hugely talented and tragic woman, a woman who left this world too early, who had much more to give, and deserved much more. I guess both women prove that money, power and fame cannot buy happiness. If there is a lesson to be learnt, it is, I suppose, that happiness is a great and rare gift and can be found only in the so-called "small" things.

I have two books about Marilyn -- one it is Blonde, Marilyn's biography by Joyce Carol Oates (good, I'm sure, but too depressing to read) and another book with extracts from Marilyn's poems and letters. I will review the latter at some later point for The Lipstick Papers!

Here is a sketch I once made of Marilyn, adding reading glasses and a different hairstyle. Some people who see it recognize Marilyn, others think it is myself, i.e. that it is a self-portrait. 

This doesn't say much for my talent for taking likenesses: however, it is certainly one of the best compliments I have ever heard! ;-)

Have a good afternoon and be well! xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment