Wednesday, June 17, 2015

ADDICTION TO HAPPY ENDINGS

IN Mary Elizabeth Braddon's The Doctor's Wife, George, the protagonist Isabel's husband is beyond the pale early in the book -- that is, the moment he insists that Isabel is married in a plain brown dress instead of a beautiful wedding dress!!! Isabel is poor, so George, who is better off, will buy her the wedding clothes. He comes up with a pitiable brown dress, telling her that it is the best wedding dress ever since, "you can wear it afterwards as an ordinary dress".

This is the first cloud in a marriage which is not good for Isabel at all. George is the most unromantic character imaginable -- no wonder that Isabel eventually falls in love with a beautiful and gallant young man, who understands her need for romance and beauty, and is willing to die for her.

If you are looking for a happy ending, The Doctor's Wife is not for you. :-( Given my addiction to happy endings, I wonder why i like it so much. Maybe because it is a book with character, a book which is odd yet attractive. 

Central to The Doctor's Wife is the idea that beauty, romance, fashion and beautiful things are not superficial or unnecessary, but can make life better and lovelier. 

Here I am at my friend's boutique (Pearls and Shells) having a taste of fashion! I am sure you probably know by now that I am crazy about fashion and outfits and that, the only thing which prevents me from becoming a complete fashion freak is lack of funds.

Still, being dressed nicely is not only a matter of money. Because of the need to economize, I set priorities, and buy pieces which I love and which are of good quality.

Have a good afternoon and be well! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment