Friday, June 12, 2015

VINTAGE FASHION AND THE ATHENIAN STATESMAN PERICLES

LAST NIGHT, I went to a politics event and discussion, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Always on the lookout for fashion tips, I saw everything from jeans, to the little black dress, maxi summer dresses and an amazing pink-peach Christian Dior lipstick!

Personally, I wore a pair of light beige shoes which I have had for a very long time and which I love very much. The moment you see them, they shout to you: "we are vintage"! This is because they come from the era of pointed-toe fashion. I think I bought them more than a decade ago.

The politics event was very interesting. My MA was on politics (International Studies) so I like political talks. I don't agree with the current "I am not interested and I don't vote" vogue. As Pericles, the great Athenian statesman once said, "whoever says that politics is not his [or her] business, we say he [or she] has no business here at all". 

Though I would not take Pericles's extreme view, I do agree that we should take interest in the affairs of the state. Feminists have fought for decades for women to be admitted into the political life: I would do them a disservice if I rejected the benefits they gained for me -- benefits which the first feminists (19th century) never had.

About the shoes. Last night, I noticed that they are really getting old! :-( I am not sure if I should keep them. I love them so much, it breaks my heart to throw them away. Maybe I will just keep them in the closet as a memory of fashions past...
:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment