Wednesday, November 18, 2015

BREAKFAST FOR HEROES IN HOMER'S ILIAD

The ancient Greeks have fun with breakfast in Homer's Iliad, starting the day with wine, honey, dry wheat and milk!
Breakfasting plainly the other day, I was green with jealousy when I saw the fried egg and herbs bagel at Yahoo Food! Alas - gourmet cooking escapes me, and, as you know, I can hardly boil an egg.

Still, eggs are among my favorites, in any form. Eggs are miraculous for the hair and for many other things. We used to give boiled egg to Lady (my darling collie who died a few years ago) for a shiny coat!
Despite Homeric feasts, breakfasts in literature are memorable, yet often unpleasant! Who can forget the horrid breakfast poor Pip has with the nauseating Uncle Pumblechook in Great Expectations? Or the bread and water tossed at Jane as she leaves for Lowood in Jane Eyre? Such breakfasts are a metaphor for lack of love and home.
Have a good day, with beauty always with you😃

No comments:

Post a Comment