Sunday, November 1, 2015

AND TO WEAR LIPSTICK, OF COURSE!!!!!!!

How I will love it if, one day, they will say about me what they said about Marianne Gaskell, Elizabeth's longest surviving daughter! Marianne was energetic and social until she died in her eighties. This is what I would want. And to wear lipstick, of course!!!!

Remember when I was just starting to read Jenny Uglow's Elizabeth Gaskell biography? I have finished it now and enjoyed it very much.

As biography, it makes Elizabeth Gaskell come alive. We look at her from two angles: as the subject of biography, through letters, diaries and contemporary accounts, and as the heroine of a story; a lively life story which Uglow confidently constructs.

Like any good book, this one implicates us too; we participate in the events of Elizabeth's life and enjoy the feel of the Victorian world around us.
Have a good night and be well! XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment