Saturday, November 7, 2015

SCHOOL BOOKS AND BAGUETTES

IN the Search of the Perfect Loaf, Samuel Fromartz argues that the baguette is probably the most difficult type of bread to make. I read his adventures in baguette making with great excitement! You can imagine my surprise when, in Bread by Evi Voutsina (Το Ψωμί, Εύη Βουτσινά, Greek bread-making book) I read: "Baguette: this world famous bread ... is very easy to make" (το πασίγνωστο γαλλικό ψωμί ... είναι πολύ εύκολο στην κατασκευή του).

What was the meaning of all this?????? I will never find out: as you know, I am useless in the kitchen, so I cannot try the recipes for myself. I tried to read and actually make sense of the recipes but, being utterly unable to try them out, this is just not possible.

Still, both books are excellent. Bread is mostly a recipe book, though with a small anthology on bread-related texts. Perfect Loaf is a memoir, written in lovely language and very interesting!

A fairy tale I once read in my 3rd grade reading book, contained the message that the best bread is that which you make yourself. Good thing was, the person who makes his own bread in the tale is male and a king, not a housewife who has to serve a huge family unwilling to help. But then, our school book was all against stereotypes and all for open minded thought. (Rare for a school book, I know).

More on this fantastic school book in a later post!!! xxx
P.S. My own picture of the French girl, from my favorite frappe spot, Croissanterie here in Cyprus!

No comments:

Post a Comment